Pope Francis has chosen the theme of the Second World Day for Grandparents and the Elderly, to be celebrated on Sunday 24 July. The verse from Psalm 92, "In old age they will still bear fruit", to emphasise how grandparents and the elderly are a value and a gift both for society and for ecclesial communities. On this day we recognise the great contributions they make to our lives and to the life of the Church.
Today we rejoice in our families and parish community in the gift of grandparents and the elderly. They make a huge contribution to our lives. Let us intercede for them all today and, at the same time thank God for the many blessings that come from the senior members of our families and parish.
1. I give thanks to you, Lord, For the blessing of a long life For, to those who take refuge in You,
Grant always to bear fruit.
2. Forgive, O Lord, Resignation and disillusionment,
But forsake me not
When my strength declines.
3. Teach me to look with hope To the future you give me,
To the mission you entrust to me
And to sing your praises without end.
4. Make me a tender craftsman Of Your revolution,
To guard with love my grandchildren
And all the little ones who seek shelter in You.
5. Protect, O Lord, Pope Francis And grant Thy Church
To deliver the world from loneliness.
Direct our steps in the way of peace.
Parish News & Events Archive